Thursday 17 October 2013

The British Culinary Experience: Part 1

So Stephanie, one of the American exchange students I am living with, has a list of quintessential British food she would like to try before she leaves at Christmas.
 I being the incredibly amazing friend that I am have offered to take her on the culinary adventure of her life, helping her cook all these tantalizing dishes.
 I think she believes that my britishness means I can cook British food. The truth is that I have never made some of these dishes... but hey, it can't be that hard?
We started with Toad in the hole. 
The recipe we used is shamelessly stolen from BBC Good Food:
You will be happy to know that we have thus far had no repercussions from our little experiment!
Also, it tasted waaaaaaay better than it looks in the picture! 
The sausages were only slightly burned on the top. 
I think it may be a good idea to turn the sausages before adding the batter to have a more even finish.
A smaller pan is also recommended as the batter was a little thin and crispy, unfortunately all I had to my disposal was a massive roasting dish.
I served this with peas and carrots and the gravy from the recipe. 
P.S. The picture really doesn't do this recipe justice, it was absolutely delicious. The gravy was one of the best tasting parts and it doesn't even feature in the picture. I really need to up my game!

No comments:

Post a Comment